June 12, 2023
The clock is ticking. To meet our climate goals, we must act now to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from Canada’s buildings and the systems that support them. With this impetus, it’s more important than ever for stakeholders to have clear and reliable information on the most effective pathways to decarbonizing our buildings—and in this position paper, we make the case for electrification as the best way for the sector to achieve net zero.
Specifically, the paper addresses:
- Why electrification is the most viable pathway to lower building emissions
- How electrification reduces building-sector emissions
- Why electrification offers a viable heating solution for Canadian winters
- Why electrification is an economical pathway to building decarbonization
- How electrification is a solution for both new and existing buildings
- What additional benefits building electrification offers Canadians
While acknowledging the challenges that electrification entails, we argue that it is the most viable, most economical pathway to decarbonizing Canada’s building sector.
Poirier, M. and Cameron, C. (2023). The Case for Building Electrification in Canada. The Transition Accelerator.